Hello everyone !
In recent years, the American sky has changed a lot. Airlines are merging en masse, and the long-awaited consolidation is coming.
The major American companies, once numerous and with plethoric services, have shrunk to a trickle, there are now four:
- American Airlines
- United Airlines
- Delta Airlines
- US Airways
These 4 companies concentrate most of the American frequent travelers, but also the biggest Corporate contracts.
There are also so-called Low Cost companies, such as Southwest, JetBlue, AirTran or Spirit.
Then other somewhat lonely companies like Frontier or Virgin America.
As for the majors, they have all recently undergone mergers or are on the verge of consolidation. In chronological order :
- The Delta Airlines/Northwest Airlines merger in 2009/2010
- The United / Continental merger, in 2010/2011
- The American / US Air merger, which should take place at the end of 2013/beginning of 2014
In these mergers, it is always the “big” brand that “eats” the small one. On the other hand, at the management level, it is very different!
- As part of the United/Continental merger, Continental’s management team is now in charge.
- And for American / US Air, it will be the US Air team that will lead.
The question is why? What are your opinions ?